CCI Faculty/Staff Awards Luncheon
On May 2, UNC Charlotte’s College of Computing and Informatics (CCI) gathered in the Barnhardt Student Activity Center Salons for its Faculty/Staff Awards Luncheon. The annual event is a celebration of all things CCI – past, present and future.
This year’s edition provided an opportunity for many in the CCI family to say goodbye to Dean Fatma Mili, who is leaving CCI at the end of the semester to become the Provost at Grand Valley State University (MI). Despite insisting the day not be about her, the program closed with words of appreciation and a gift for Mili from now-interim dean Bojan Cukic. Intended to keep Mili warm in Michigan, the UNC Charlotte blanket is to also serve, “as a reminder of CCI, its people and the appreciation we all have for [her] leadership over the past five years.” Cukic drew inspiration from Charles Schulz’ Peanuts character Linus, who was never without his own blankie.
In addition to the fun and fellowship, an always-anticipated highlight is the recognition of faculty promotions and award winners. See below for a complete list.
- Promotion to Associate Professor with Tenure: Samira Shaikh, Way Sung, and Rebekah Rogers
- Promotion to Full Teaching Professor: Dale-Marie Wilson
- Promotion to Associate Teaching Professor: Julio Bahamon
- Way Sung received the James H. Woodward Faculty Research Award
- Aidong Lu and Anthony Fodor recieved the Lawrence Mays Research Faculty Award
- Outstanding Research Award: Mary Lou Maher
- Essam El-Kwae Student-Faculty Research Award: Dong Dai and his student, Di Zhang
- Excellence in Graduate Teaching Award: Dave Wilson
- Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Award: Nadia Najjar
- Outstanding Staff Award: Carmalita Govan (pictured above, with Associate Dean Bill Tolone)
- Staff Leadership Award: Caroline Kennedy
- Staff Teamwork Award: Mary McLean
- Dean’s Award: Brian Peck and Mike Fresina
CLICK To view a Gallery of Images from the event (Credit: Kat Lawrence)