Credit by Exam
A student may pass a specially prepared challenge examination and receive credit for a CCI course in lieu of taking the actual course if:
- they have not obtained a passing or failing grade for that course (either by taking the course or via a prior credit by exam) at UNC Charlotte; and
- they can present an acceptable justification for their request.
The college will consider one of the following reasons for approval to take a Credit by Exam (CBE) as an alternative for a course:
- the student has relevant personal experience on the topics in the course;
- the student has relevant professional experience on the topics in the course;
- the student has taken a similar course at another institution (if you believe that the course you have taken should have transferred to the course for which you want to request a CBE, please check the transfer credit reevaluation option).
The student must provide details to support their request.
CBEs will be offered 4 times per year:
- Cycle 1: In August, prior to the start of Fall semester
- Students must request the CBE by August 1
- Cycle 2: In October, prior to Spring registration deadlines
- Students must request the CBE by October 1
- Cycle 3: In January, prior to the start of Spring semester
- Students must request the CBE by January 1
- Cycle 4: In March, prior to Summer / Fall registration deadlines
- Students must request the CBE by March 1
Students whose requests get approved must be prepared to take the CBE within 2-5 weeks after the deadline for the upcoming cycle (e.g., if a student makes a request on Feb 25, they must be prepared to take the CBE, if approved, within 2-5 weeks after March 1 ; if a student makes a request on April 1, they must be prepared to take the CBE, if approved, within 2-5 weeks after August 1). Approvals may be rescinded if a student does not take the CBE within this interval.
Requests made after the deadline for a given cycle will be considered and processed for the next cycle (e.g., if a student makes a request on March 5, it will be considered for Cycle 1 in August).
We have stopped processing new requests for Cycle 2. Requests made between Oct 1 & Jan 1 will be considered & processed in time for Cycle 3 in January.
Instructions for students
For ITSC 1212
Step 1: Fill out this ITSC 1212 Credit by Exam request form. Once your request is processed, you will be sent information about the exam.
Step 2: Take the exam, as per instructions provided to you.
Step 3: If you pass the exam, you will be asked to pay $15 at the Marketplace (link will be provided). Select “other” for “reason for payment”. In the comments section state “Credit by Exam”. This fee is non-refundable. An e-receipt will be sent to your UNC Charlotte email account. You will need to upload your payment receipt using the link that will be provided to you.
Step 4: Once you upload your payment receipt, your CBE results will be sent to the Office of the Registrar.
For all other CCI courses
Step 1: Fill out this Google form with information about yourself and the course for which you are requesting CBE. Please make sure to provide relevant details / justification to support your request.
Step 2: The department or unit that oversees / teaches the course will approve / reject your request.
Step 3: If your request is approved, a pre-filled UNC Charlotte CBE form with your information and the Department Chair / Program Director’s signature will be sent to you via DocuSign (go to the DocuSign page, enter your UNC Charlotte email address, click on the Continue button and enter your NinerNet credentials when prompted). Follow Steps 4 and 5 to complete the form.
Step 4: Pay $15 at the Marketplace (link is on CBE form). Select “other” for “reason for payment”. In the comments section state “Credit by Exam”. This fee is non-refundable. An e-receipt will be sent to your UNC Charlotte email account.
Step 5: Complete the DocuSign request you receive by attaching your payment receipt and adding your signature to the form. This step must be completed at least 5 days prior to the date of the CBE.
Step 6: The form will be routed to the instructor administering the CBE and you will receive more specific instructions on when and how to take the actual exam.
Step 7: Take the exam, as per instructions provided to you.
Step 8: The instructor will record your grade on the CBE form. If you pass the exam, the completed form, along with your Exam Grade, will be sent to the Office of the Registrar.