Graduate Certificate in Applied A.I.
The Graduate Certificate in Applied Artificial Intelligence (AAI) provides graduate students with the opportunity to reach a demonstrated level of competence in the area of Artificial Intelligence and apply such knowledge to the solution of practical problems. Coursework towards the Certificate in AAI can be used for credit towards the M.S. in Computer Science degree. However, its primary purpose is to provide a well-defined target for students who want to advance their knowledge of modern AI systems and techniques but do not necessarily wish to complete all requirements for the M.S. in Computer Science. The certificate may be pursued concurrently with any of the graduate degree programs at UNC Charlotte.
The certificate in AAI provides the opportunity for in-depth study in the following areas:
- Machine Learning
- Deep Learning / Neural Networks
- Intelligent Systems
- Natural Language Processing (NLP)
- Knowledge Discovery
- Data Warehousing
- Advanced Databases and
- Knowledge Based Systems
The certificate in AAI is open to all students who hold a B.S. degree in any scientific, engineering or business discipline and either
- are enrolled and in good standing in a graduate degree program at UNC Charlotte or
- have GPA above 2.8 overall and 3.0 Jr/Sr.
In addition, the program requires a current working knowledge of two higher-level languages, including at least one procedural language; and a familiarity with computer applications. The following minimal background in mathematics is also required: two semesters of calculus and one semester of discrete structures. Individuals who have worked at a high professional level in the computer industry may be able to substitute work experience for specific subject area admission requirements.
Applicants are required to submit a brief (one- to two-page) statement of educational and work experience in the computing field. Application for the AAI certificate program is made through the Graduate Admissions Office of the University.
The certificate will be awarded upon completion of four (4) graduate level courses (12 credits) in the area of Applied Artificial and its applications. A cumulative GPA of 3.0 will be required and at most one course with a grade of C may be allowed towards the certificate. To obtain the certificate a student needs to two (2) required courses and two (2) electives, for a total of 12 credits.
Required Courses (6 credit hours)
- ITCS 6114 Algorithms and Data Structures
- ITCS 6150 Intelligent Systems
ITCS 5153 Applied Artificial Intelligence
Elective Courses (6 credit hours)
Select two of the following:
- ITCS 6156 Machine Learning
ITCS 5156 Applied Machine Learning
- ITCS 5111 Introduction to Natural Language Processing
ITCS 6158 Natural Language Processing
- ITCS 6155 Knowledge-Based Systems
- ITCS 6157 Visual Databases
- ITCS 6190 Cloud Computing for Data Analysis
- ITCS 6265 Advanced Topics in Knowledge Discovery in Databases
- ITIS 5510 Web Mining
- ITIS 6220 Data Privacy
- ITCS 6100 Big Data Analytics for Competitive Advantage
- ITCS 6160 Database Systems
- ITCS 6162 Knowledge Discovery in Databases
- ITCS 6881 Individual Study in AI, Robotics, and Gaming
Applicants may obtain more information by stopping by or emailing the Department of Computer Science, College of Computing and Informatics: Woodward Hall 423C